Tuesday, December 15, 2015

A Special Gift I Gave

When someone says the word "gift", I see a sentimental and thoughtful present. When I give gifts, I put effort into making/obtaining them. That's what makes them gifts. You have fun getting them and you also have fun seeing the happy reaction on people's faces when they see how hard you worked on them. People appreciate small things like that. But if people don't think that you really thought about their gift, should they be thankful?
A couple years ago, days before Christmas, I was working on a gift to give to my cousin. Since I had no money (I was really young), I improvised and made him a card. I decorated it with my best markers and wrote a kind letter in it. I knew he would love it. However, when I arrived at his house and gave it to him, he looked at me with a confused expression as if he didn't really think this was his actual gift. When I gave him the look that it was, he threw the card on the floor and started yelling about how he didn't want a "lame card'. He didn't talk to me for the rest of the party.
         My cousin probably thought that I spent minutes on the card, but really I spent days on it. He didn't know that though, so was it okay for him to yell at me? Was it not okay since he should've realized how hard I worked on it? I ask those questions to myself every Christmas since that is a popular story that comes up every year.

3 comments:

  1. Homemade gifts are my favorite kind of gifts because they come from the heart. My drawer is crammed full of pictures, notes, poems, and cards from my students and daughters. It's your cousin's loss for not appreciating an Alexandra original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stern schenken I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stern schenken Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors.

    ReplyDelete